Pages

Monday, January 21, 2008

British Strategy to conquer India (1835)

Some two months ago, Azaadi Express Train (a special exhibition train to commemorate the occasion of 150 years of first freedom struggle of India) passed through my city. I visited it, specially to show it to my daughter. It was a nice display of events. This poster grabbed my attention instantly.
Sorry for the flash effect. Here is the complete text:
Strategy outlined to the British Parliament
for Conquering India
on February 02, 1835
"I have travelled across the length and breadth of India and I have not seen one person who is a beggar, who is a thief. Such wealth I have seen in this country, such high moral values, people of such caliber, that I do not think we would ever conquer this country, unless we break the very backbone of this nation, which is her spiritual and cultural heritage, and ,therefore, I propose that we replace the old and ancient education system, her culture, because if the Indians think that all that is foreign and English is good and greater than their own, they will lose their self-esteem, their native self-culture and they will become what we want them, a truly dominated nation."
- Lord Macaulay
Quite thinkable. Isn't it?
-------------------------
Few thumbnails from ACKs.

12 comments:

  1. Terrific post. One of your best posts. A bunch of Ack covers look better than the Ijc counterparts!
    I have heard this quote from Lord Macaulay before. I didnt believe it before because I didnt know the source. Now I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please provide the covers as .cbr file. They are a treat! My favorite ACK is that of Chanakya. I have read it so many times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My ... my .... my ... my .......

    what a mouth watering collection .....

    when r u planning to post these treasure ..... :)

    eagerly waiting for ACK books .......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last Sunday one of the Indian friends who are working for Tata motors was telling about it to some Russian friends. They were interested to read about it. Thanks, I can forward exact words to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic post having ACK covers. Eagerly waiting for these, always had a passion to won a large collection of these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. somebody sent me a mail regarding this story..

    gr8 collection,.,. so whats about the blog? no news yet///

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Blog, TPH! This is the first time I've left a comment for you, I think - but it's not going to be the last one! :)
    Your hindi IJC collection is amazing - all those issues are issues I have never read the English counterparts of; I hope they get posted elsewhere soon. My spoken Hindi is excellent, but I'm afraid after 10th std, I haven't really read or written much Hindi.
    Re: the ACK's - Prithviraj Chauhan's comic always made me so sad - if only Chauhan hadn't been so naive and sportsmanlike, Ghauri would have never conquered us with his band of goons!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quote is worth giving a thought, how great was our country.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grouchy: Thanks. you can expect more acks soon.

    Dholey: more and more are coming soon.

    Prabhat: nice to know that. thanks for visiting.

    Bala: We are planning for this, almost in final stage.

    ICC: thanks. you have the news now.

    adibud34: I also hope the same. Some day all these indrajals are going to be seen in english also. About Prithviraj Chouhan, you are absolutely correct. But there are more reasons for his defeat. You may like to check the link below.
    Reasons for Prithviraj's defeat and lessons to be learnt

    Anonymous: It is very satisfying to know that people are realising it. thanks for sharing views.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A post consisting of galaxy of covers is always more attractive than a regular post.
    A very nice display of ACK covers.. are these true scan images of real covers or some with photo shop effects...as the serial no. or prize label is not visible in the scans also the ACK logo is placed at a different position than its normal one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. can someone plz post ACK ........... who no one is intereasted in posting them ????
    plzzzzz upload them......

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for this..
    I do believe in the heritage of India, and it's basic foundation. It is a pity that blind and corrupt politicians have been ruling the roost since we gained Independence.

    ReplyDelete